Melissa, TX asked in DUI / DWI for Texas

Q: Found 'Not Guilty' for DWI in Texas, how do I have my record expunged?

My sister was found not guilty by a jury about 3 weeks ago. The judge actually commented that she never should've been arrested in the first place (officer knew NOTHING about the tests he scored her by), and after the verdict he told her she had 30 days to have her record expunged free of charge. She doesn't have the money to pay an attorney to file all of the necessary documents for this. After researching, I don't even think she has to file a petition. If that's the case, what is the process to have her record expunged? What documents need to be filed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A petition for expunction must be filed. Once the petition is granted, law enforcement and governmental agencies are instructed to destroy all records of the matter. Right now, if a background check is performed on your sister, her DWI case would appear, albeit it would show as dismissed. After an expunction, no records would be found.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.