Mountville, PA asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Education Law for Pennsylvania

Q: How do I get mediation with my ex-spouse to change the school at which the children attend?

My agreement specifically stipulates that my ex-wife pays for private school tuition if BOTH of us agree to send our children there. My 13yo daughter now wants to attend the public school in the district in which I live. We have a 50/50 custody arrangement.

1 Lawyer Answer
Penelope A. Boyd
Penelope A. Boyd
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • West Chester, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This is a custody question. Your custody order will very likely indicate shared legal custody, so both parents must agree, or a court must order, educational decisions.

If you and mother discuss this and cannot reach an agreement, you have the option of going to court and filing a petition to modify the custody order.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.