Pennsylvania Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers

Q: Can you send a family member to represent you in arbitration court?

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 28, 2019
Thomas A. Grossman's answer
Only if the family member is part of the claim or lawsuit. I don't know which court you are talking about, but you don't have to hire a lawyer to represent you in an arbitration proceeding. Of course, it is better to have a lawyer with you. If you are not part of the claim or lawsuit, then the Court may or may not allow you speak at the Arbitration hearing. Usually only the parties to the lawsuit can appear in Court.

Q: Recently my Home Owners Association created a Resolution that limits my freedom of speech.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Land Use & Zoning for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Oct 23, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
The HOA could make the argument that their resolution is in place for the protection of privacy, not the infringement of First Amendment rights.

Tim Akpinar

Q: .my husband caused me to be permanently disabled and collects 100% VA and SSDisability which is 5000 a

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Divorce, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Domestic Violence for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jul 31, 2018
Cary B. Hall's answer
If he caused you injuries, then yes - he can be criminally charged, and also sued in civil court for money damages. You may also be entitled to alimony in a divorce case as well -- it depends on all sorts of factors, most of which are monetary. It's probably worth a shot.

Best of luck to you.

Q: Can I sell my home if I just received papers for arbitration

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jul 1, 2018
Thomas A. Grossman's answer
I am not a Bankruptcy Lawyer, and what you describe going on does not sound like it has to do with Bankruptcy. It sounds like you have a real estate problem, and the other side has asked for Arbitration. It appears that you are in Philadelphia, while I am in California. So, the law is different for each state. I also don't know what "paperwork" you received. It sounds more like a foreclosure proceeding that is going on. At any rate, I suggest you contact a lawyer near you ASAP to prevent...

Q: husband refusing to sign divorce papers after being separated for three years.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Divorce and Family Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 9, 2018
Kathryn Hilbush's answer
It depends. Sometimes the counties will go through old files that have been inactive for a long time and send a notice that the cases are being terminated. If your lawyer hasn't actually officially withdrawn from the case, though, the notice will likely go to that office instead of you. Check with your local legal assistance office. They may not be able to handle your case but they often have workshops for people trying to get through these on their own. You do't need your husband's consent for...

Q: When I filed for divorce, the lawyer wrote the incorrect separation date. Can I change the date to the day I filed?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Divorce and Family Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jan 25, 2018
Kathryn Hilbush's answer
That's a possibility. Perhaps you should discuss this further with your attorney. There may have been a very good reason why that date was selected.

Q: How can I obtain a passport for my child that was legally agreed upon during mediation?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody and Family Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Dec 12, 2017
Lisa Marie Vari's answer
Presuming you left mediation with a written consent custody agreement stating that father will cooperate in obtaining the passport, you have to file for enforcement of the order to force him to comply. The court also has the authority to impose sanctions on father for his non-compliance if it deems appropriate.

Please feel free to visit my website for more information on enforcement of custody orders in PA....

Q: How to get my sisters name off our deed?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Landlord - Tenant and Probate for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Nov 15, 2017
Mark Scoblionko's answer
As a co-owner, your sister is responsible for half the taxes and other municipal charges. She is also responsible for half the improvements. However, since you live there, she has the right to receive rent. Possibly, if you were to contact a lawyer and sue her, she would surrender and give you a deed as a settlement of claims. There is, however, also a possibility that she would counterclaim against you for the rent she is entitled to.

You need to sort all this out with a lawyer....

Q: I'm taking my husband for spousal support. We r separated and i have a PFA. An incident happened to me when I arrived at

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Oct 5, 2017
Kathryn Hilbush's answer
This is a bit confusing. I wonder if there isn't a misunderstanding of what the DR worker said. How do you know what she told your husband if you have a PFA against him?

Q: I once signed up for a credit card with Wells Fargo and apparently signed away my right to sue them until the end of tim

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
If you don't have a mortgage agreement I see no need to worry if they in theory have one. All your business with them is done.

Q: If Pennsylvania court orders arbitration of case involving title to real property, should I seek Writ of Prohibition?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Aug 16, 2016
Mark Scoblionko's answer
You need to have the matter evaluated by a lawyer, who could them advise you what to file and where to file it.

Q: I am the administratrix of my late brother's estate. My nephew, heir to the estate does not want the property. He ...

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 27, 2016
Mark Scoblionko's answer
Your nephew could renounce the gift of the property, and it would then pass by intestacy, since your brother did not have a Will. If that would occur, the property would pass to the intestate heirs. I assume that the nephew's mother was not your brother's wife. If she was a wife, even if they were separated, she would be an heir. If your brother had other children, they would be heirs. If you have other siblings, they would be heirs. If you are the only heir, and your nephew renounces,...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.