Denver, CO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: Can a landlord charge for the full lease?

we were evicted early in a lease for nonpayment- I get it, not fighting that. We're trying to pay it down, but I was wondering can they charge us for the full amount of the lease if the apartment has new tenants? Technically arent they're getting paid twice for the same unit? Is that legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You are correct - A Landlord in Colo is not allowed to "double-dip" in the collection of rent from former tenants. If the Landlord has filed a Complaint against you in an attempt to obtain a judgement you should contact an attorney to assist you with this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.