Urbana, IL asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Illinois

Q: did i ask for a work to be done or did i just ask a question

obviously if i wanted "dollar store" work i would've came to you personally ..either answer the question or don't..have a nice day gayry..oops Gary

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Wolf
William Wolf
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I know you may not realize it, but you're asking for free work to be done.

Asking a lawyer what he or she thinks is asking the lawyer to provide work. Most of our work, before one of us may open our mouths in a courtroom, or in writing on an appeal..... is thinking through the problem at hand.

Respectfully sir, it is my belief that the purpose of this service is not to get a lawyer to do free work, but to identify a lawyer you like so you can hire the lawyer based on the problem that you have, whether it's Juan, or Gary, or someone else.

Respectfully, your question and your facts are not entirely clear, and any lawyer will tell you that a single fact can change the outcome of a particular legal problem.

I hope you can understand that any lawyer would be reluctant to answer the question if it's unclear what the question is.

Here's what I think your question might be: Assuming Officer Gary approaches me, believes I broke a law..... like Criminal trespass to Juan's residence...... and let's say in the search incident to that arrest, Officer Gary finds one gram of cocaine in my front right jeans pocket.

Officer Gary places me under arrest. The State then charges me only with the felony of possession. I am not charged with the trespass to Juan's property.

Is that legal?


Must I be charged with the misdemeanor trespass which was the basis for the search to find the felony amount of drugs?


It sounds to me (although I may be wrong) that you have a lawyer with your local Public Defender's Office whereever this arrest occurred. I would consult with that person. Make an in person office appointment. I am sure that, if you had the funds to hire a lawyer, that lawyer would want you in his or her office to get certain questions answered.

Don't treat the lawyer you have any differently just because you're not paying him or her.

I wish you the best of luck in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.