Overland Park, KS asked in Immigration Law for Kansas

Q: Can a conditional permanent resident take a 1 year masters program abroad if they come back to the US for summer break?

My husband is from Colombia and became a conditional permanent resident in the United States in December of 2017. He will file his I-751 next week. He was accepted into a university for his Master's degree in Spain and we want to go so I can also learn Spanish. The program is January to June and then Oct to Dec. We will be coming back to the US in between semesters and keeping all ties with the US (mortgage, health insurance, taxes, residency) I also have a US job where I can telecommute from Spain. Will he have any issues upon re-entry both in the summer and again in December?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: He shouldn’t have any issues; however, he should take all evidence that he is not abandoning residence (mortgage information, etc) just in case. Just make sure that USCIS can contact him. He might need to attend an interview as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.