Williston, SC asked in Divorce for South Carolina

Q: My ex is slow mailing the papers back! He does not care that they are time sensitive! What do I do?

I filed for divorce in June. The plan was to serve my ex via publication. However, mysteriously out of the blue his "fiance" contacted me, offering to file for the divorce and pay for it. I already filed. She insisted the papers be served to my husband via email instead of publication, "so it would go faster." She LIED multiple times about when she mailed the papers back. She mailed them ten days after the date she originally said she mailed them. Now, we are running way behind. Twenty days behind. My lawyer still has to request the hearing, and mail my husband the Notice of Hearing and somehow SC Law recently was changed to where proof of service, alone is no longer admissible. The defendant has to mail an extra form if they are going to be absent. The woman is not the person I am divorcing and she has been acting as a guard. We have not heard anything personally from my husband. So that aside, what do I do? This derails the divorce. Is it just stuck?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: It sounds like you have an attorney so he/she is going to be the best person to advise you on your steps going forward. Your attorney knows all the facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.