Oakland, CA asked in Trademark for California

Q: How do you go about appealing oppositions when your lawyer and you no longer speak but they're listed as the attorney?

My lawyer who originally filed the Trademark for my company and I no longer communicates. We recently just received a notice of trademark opposition and we need to appeal it, however, I don't think our lawyer will help us out with this. Is he legally obligated to fight the opposition if he is listed? I don't think he will respond to the complaint. How do we take this matter into our own hands?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bharath Konda
Bharath Konda
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN

A: You may have signed a retainer or engagement agreement with your lawyer while taking the help for trademark registration purposes. That engagement agreement will explain in detail about the agreement termination. Usually lawyers get an engagement agreement only for a particular purpose. If that purpose is served, agreement terminates. Sometimes lawyers also explicitly state via email or postal mail that they no longer represent you.

In this situation, your lawyer may have been listed as attorney while filing a trademark application. This listing on trademark website do not by itself compel your lawyer to represent you. You engagement agreement controls the terms of the availability of your lawyer. If you have would like to know more about trademark matters, please check the following web-link: https://affordabletrademarkattorney.com/trademark-faqs/

Disclaimer: The response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advise. If you would like to have legal advise, then please consult any competent trademark attorney or privately to discuss your case and establish proper attorney-client relationship. I work with affordable trademark attorney website. Please feel free to check our website.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.