Houston, TX asked in Uncategorized for Texas

Q: Hello, My grandfather passed away a year ago , leaving a trust that his mother set up for the family in PA.

All children of our grandfather are deceased, leaving 5 of us great grandkids. We were all contacted by an heir search company that told us that they are gathering heir information for Wilmington Bank and to expect a letter. That was in March 2019. We have three cousins that were adopted out in a closed adoption at a young age. The bank told the heir company to keep searching for them. We are all accounted for,except for them, and the heir company has already been searching for 6 months or longer. What rights do we have here? Shouldn’t we all receive a letter and a copy of the Trust? Last I heard,the search for the kids adopted out can go 6 months to a year more, according to the heir company. I feel like the bank is taking advantage of this to keep money there longer. Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If I understand this correctly, your great-granmother set up a trust for the "family" which included your grandfather. The terms of the trust will control who the trust assets pass to. I suggest asking for a copy of the trust.

Be wary of this "heirship company" if they are asking for any fees from the trust funds. If so, they may not be working for the bank directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.