This site is undergoing scheduled maintenance. Please check back in a few minutes.
Marlton, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: Would a unemployed US citizen run into issues marrying visa student. (Extra info)

I myself at 27 am not financially stable, live with my mom, I am going back to school and do not have a job however my mom and friend would consign as sponsor(s). I read that latest tax returns are a document that would be looked at however my job history i have typically not made enough to file taxes for most years so I don’t have tax returns for most years or if I do they are very small amounts made in the year.

I’m wondering if I would run into issues trying to marry her due to these things as I said I could get the sponsor form signed by someone who is financially stable but I’m curious if any of this would cause issues outside of just needing a co sponsor.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Vince Sykes
Vince Sykes

A: Eventually, you will need to complete Form I-864 Affidavit of Support. If your income doesnt meet the threshold, you can include a co-sponsor who will have to show the necessary minimum income by way of tax documents/w2's etc.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: You will still be able to sponsor your fiancé but you will have to have a financial co sponsor. I recommend that you retain counsel who can prepare the application and supporting documents to maximize your chances of success. Counsel anywhere in the USA can represent you and some of us charge very affordable flat fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.