Natick, MA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: My speeding case is missing from the published court list for the day; what should I do?

I am a tourist visiting the US and got an 80/70 ticket in the hire car. The officer misread my papers and issued the summons entering my middle name as my surname, my real surname not appearing at all.

The court list for the hearing day has been published on the VA Courts website, and my case doesn’t appear at all, either under my actual name or under the name entered by the officer on the summons.

What should I do? Are cases sometimes added to the list later on? Or can I just ignore it and assume it goes away?

EDIT/ I have been watching the court lists for another two weeks now, and all the cases being added are for more recent stops. I guess I should telephone them to find out why my case seems to have been lost.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The courts add names to the docket everyday. If you ignore it you do so to your peril.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.