Grand Prairie, TX asked in Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: Does the father have to pay CS if the mother let's the kids drop out of school at 15 yrs of age & dont live with her

The mother lives in a different town with boyfriend than the children. One of kids lives with us and is in school. The mother smokes pot with the 2 kids she has and let's them drink.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Until there is an order modifying child support, the father is on the hook for whatever was court ordered. You need to have an attorney file a motion for modification of child support and possibly child custody based on a material and permanent change in circumstances. If you are concerned for the minor children's safety, then filing a referral with DHS may be needed, but I am always slightly hesitant in doing this because it means everyone will be scrutinized.

If you need help with this or need a new attorney please call 918-884-7791 and speak to our Family Law Team of attorneys.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.