Gainesville, GA asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: I have a 1/2 undivided interest & life tenancy in a home. If I move out, don't I still have 1/2 interest in the property

I'm 80 and want to go live with relatives out of state. I have life tenancy in my house and the warranty deed I set up says I have "one half undivided interest in the property for and during my natural life." I want to know if the remainderman has unrestricted right to do whatever he chooses if I vacate the property. Do I still have any control over the property IF I no longer live in it? Can I stop the remainderman from selling or renting out the property OR enforce getting a share of any profit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson
  • Sharpsburg, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you move out you retain your 1/2 interest. You can sell your interest to the remainderman. If rent is collected, you are due 1/2 of this after expenses. IF he sells the property it will be subject to your life estate. One cannot sell what one does not have, and the remainderman does not have your 1/2 interest in a life estate.

For starters, I would record your interest in the property at the clerk of the Superior Court for your county. This would protect your interest should the remainderman attempt or actually sell the property. See an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.