Chandler, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: I have primary custody of two daughters. I believe their father is using drugs. Can I ask that he be drug tested?

We live in Arkansas. The girls are 11&13. The oldest no longer wants to go to his house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: The short answer to your question is "yes." You could file a motion with the court in your previous custody case and allege that you believe your ex is on drugs and request a drug test. The judge would need to sign an order requiring your ex to take the test. You would likely be responsible for paying for the cost of the test up front. If your ex tests positive for drug use, you can ask that his visitation be restricted or supervised. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions or if I can be of assistance.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.