Gurnee, IL asked in Medical Malpractice for Illinois

Q: My wife has been sick after her bariatric bypass surgery.

She is suffering from chronic pain under her right ribs nearly a year. She was hospitalized earlier this year for a week with absolutely NO results or explanations. She has recently undergone an upper endoscopy and still no answers or results. To add insult to injury, her boss is stopping her health benefits at the end of the year (as well as mine) from missing too much work this year. We sure could use some good advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert D. Kreisman
Robert D. Kreisman
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I can understand your frustration. Diagnosis and treatment is critical. I would search for another medical specialist to investigate your wife's ailment as soon as practicable. It seems very strange given all of the uncomfortable testing, hospital stays that your wife has undergone that there still is no answer for her complaints. On the work and insurance issues, it is obvious that your wife's health is the connection. It may be unlawful to stop medical benefits for an employee who is ill. COBRA is the federal law that requires employers to offer to continue health insurance coverage for an employee who has terminated. Illinois law may also be an avenue for continued health insurance coverage. In addition to seeking another physician to discover the cause of your wife's illness, you may and should seek an attorney's help with sorting out the options under federal and state law as to the health insurance and employment issues that have arisen.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.