Fort Worth, TX asked in Construction Law and Workers' Compensation for Texas

Q: Please help Two years ago oct 6 2017 I was injured on a construction site in Oklahoma but employed with Texas company.

At the two year mark workman’s comp has stop paying per Texas law is what they said I filed for ssi an disability benefits I’m still unable to work an also untreated for my injuries I guess my question is how or why is that company not liable

It took them 8 months to send my first payment which made me become homeless now two years later an no income soon to be homeless again what do I do

1 Lawyer Answer
S. Michael Graham
S. Michael Graham
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Workers' Compensation is an insurance plan. The employer pays an insurance company to insure its employees in case of injury. In exchange for purchasing this wc policy, the law states that employees can't sue their employer if the employer (or its employees) negligently injure another employee. Workers compensation is the exclusive remedy. You are entitled to receive an impairment rating which could provide additional income benefits. If you receive a 15% rating or greater even more income benefits might be possible. You should contact a local workers' comp lawyer to learn about your legal rights. Additionally, if you can prove that you are unable to return to substantial gainful employment, you may qualify for social security benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.