Asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: I am a Daca recipient. I applied for food stamps for my daughter. Will that affect me?

When I applied for food stamps I told them that I had daca. The case worker didn’t know what it was I kind of explained it to her and I told her I thought I didn’t qualify to get them she told me she would verify and she said I did so she gave me food stamps for me and my daughter. I did my research because I had heard that I didn’t qualify from other people. I called the food stamp agency spoke to another lady that wasn’t my case worker and she told me that no I wasn’t entitled to them and I wasn’t suppose to get them only my daughter. I had them cut the food stamps off I received them for about four months. She also told me that if I had to pay them back the would mail me a letter within a month. It’s been two months and I haven’t heard from them. I don’t know what to do. Will this affect me in the future on my daca. I also am engaged to US citizen who is also the father of my child. When we marry and apply for a green card will this affect me? What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rehim Babaoglu
Rehim Babaoglu
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You should send them a registered letter (make a copy) explaining their error and include a check for reimbursement. You will need this proof that you did pay them back. This will mitigate your situation when you apply for adjustment of status. I would urge you to consult with and hire an immigration lawyer to assist you with this case. Not because I think you’re not capable of handling it, you may will be, but in order for the lawyer to debrief and brief you, analyze, assess and evaluate your case in order to maximize the possibilities for a successful result.

Also, your question requires too many questions on my part and too many answers on your part before I can even formulate recommendations as to the course(s) of action you should take for the future. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.