Wellington, FL asked in Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: My child has lived with me since she was 5 ms old & her father has been of unknown whereabouts since then do I still-

Do I still need custody papers even though he's been missing all this time, we were not married and his family claims to not know where he is?

Last address I'm aware of was in a prison in Pennsylvania and that's it. He hasn't paid child support in years and I can't locate his mother and the times I did locate her she denied knowing were he was every time even in court since she represented him each time.

She also abandoned all grandparent visitations when my daughter was three years old and her location is unknown after hurricane Maria and she never knows were her son is and since she didn't even know he was imprisoned, she's not seen as a valid option to find him here in Puerto Rico.

Now I want to get my now 12 year old daughter her passport and they claim to need her father's permission and for me to have her full custody when her father has never been present in her life and has downright abandoned her for drugs and criminal activities. What should I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. You will need to file a Petition for Custody and Patria Potestad in the Court of your residence. For this you will need to hire an Attorney and will need a certified copy of the childs birth certificate. If you need additional information, please feel free to contact me directly'

Lcdo. Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez Aponte.

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos PRO label
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Good afternoon, you will need to file for custody in you state of residence as well as any other procedure related to the birth certificate needed in the process that you will file in court through the attorney that you will hire. If you need any help or any additional information feel free to contact me and our firm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.