Tucson, AZ asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Military Law for Arizona

Q: What rights do I have to keep and maintain my children's military dependent ID cards?

My ex is no longer active duty due to medical issue & works on base as a civilian maintaining his military benefits & ID for both of our children age 14 & 15. Through him, our children have TriCare Insurance & their doctor is on base. I have court orders granting me full primary physical custody (he has visitation) & 50/50 legal decision making of the children. I obtained a military Agent ID granting me access to the base commissary, exchange, medical facilities & pharmacy for the needs of the children only (not myself). The privileges granted are an entitlement granted by the United States Government, not the military sponsor so he does't have the right to deny me having an Agent ID, but he deny's me from holding the children's dependent ID, only allowing me after much hassle every time to have their card on the day of a doctors appointment & demands it back directly after, denying my right to the other resources for our children. I cannot use any benefits without their ID in hand.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Is there any reason you could not get duplicate identification cards? I would go to where the ID cards are issued, explain that your ex-husband is infantile, and request they make duplicates to eliminate one source of your ex's tantrums.

If option A is not possible, you might ask the providers if a color photocopy of the documents would suffice. I would explain to THEM the toddler-like mentality of your ex and see if they would be willing to work with you.

If option B also fails, you would likely prevail if you sought a court order to compel him to turn the cards over to you.

Option C sounds like a phenomenal waste of the Court's time. Does your ex like Push-Pops? Crayola non-toxic markers? Cheap vodka? You might be able to bribe him with something low cost with the money being worth it to avoid the stress and live a longer life.

I hope one of these suggestions is helpful and wish you luck. Ah. Davis-Monthan. I miss driving through the boneyard on Kolb. I just saw that the Pima Air and Space Museum is doing tours of the boneyard now. Definitely something I have to do next visit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.