Dysart, PA asked in Business Law and Business Formation for Pennsylvania

Q: Family charity no longer has family members on the charity board, is there a way I (family member) can get on the board?

about 10 years ago, my family started a charity that I describe as "Make a Wish for adults with terminal conditions/disabilities." This charity was started in my late grandfather's name. when the charity was started, it had two of my family members on the board, the rest were close family friends who wanted to honor my late Grandfather's memory. One man on the committee eventually forced a lot of the original members out, and stopped inviting my family members to board meetings. When the family members that were on the board passed, nobody in my family was asked to join. The current head of the charity we suspect is using some of the money raised on himself, as he suddenly seems to have a lot of money to afford multiple vacations, brand new cars every year, etc. This charity was never started with the intention of profit. Is there any way I can get on the charity board? This charity carries my late grandfather's name, and i want to make sure a relative is on the board.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: These are difficult situations when the family founders lose touch with the charity since charities are not "owned" by anyone. Also depends on whether a public charity or a private foundation. Depends on original documents, tax status, and other factors. In Pennsylvania the Attorney General's office has oversight over all charities if you fell need to review how it is being operated

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.