Pennsylvania Business Law Questions & Answers

Q: Being threatened to be sued. Could he sue? He didn't follow through and he kept waiting on his contract being so e

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Oct 13, 2017

Your given detail is not sufficient to respond specifically. However, your details makes your claim for breach of trust, breach of commitments, etc. causing damage to your fixed programme which damaged your reputation leading to physical and mental torture.

Your update on FB were not taken positively rather offering regrets he posted threatening voicemail to remove updates from your FB timeline.

Based on formal messages, his voicemail, your FB clips, and expected number of...
View Details »

Q: I am closing my single-member LLC. What do I need to do from a tax standpoint if inventory assets are distributed to me?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Tax Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 1, 2017

You need to hire a CPA if you haven't already. You may need to continue liability insurance depending on the nature of your llc.
View Details »

Q: I'm starting a business however I'm also planning to ask my husband for a divorce. Is it better to wait to file divorce

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Divorce for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Aug 29, 2017

This is a complicated situation best addressed in a face to face meeting with an experienced family law attorney in your area. One way to locate an attorney is to use the Find a Lawyer tab on this site.
View Details »

Q: Where can we get a blank template of a Pennsylvania Independent Contractor Agreement, which we can edit and fill in?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 24, 2017

You should retain counsel to advise you. Each independent contractor situation is different. The attorney can prepare an independent contractor agreement that can be used as a template for the various situations.

Good luck.
View Details »

Q: Can a business in PA force me to work more than 40 hours a week? and can they force me to work in a different position?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Employment Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 19, 2017

Barring a union agreement, generally yes, as long as they pay you overtime. Changing work conditions is at the whim of the employer. The law says "don't like it? leave."

As to the different positions, generally same answer unless there is a corporate personnel manual. If it's a small company, you betcha.
View Details »

Q: Life insurance beneficiary .

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Contracts, Consumer Law and Probate for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jun 7, 2017

If you are the named beneficiary on the life insurance policy, you are entitled to the benefits.
View Details »

Q: Hello, do I need a permit to advertise about an event that my non-profit is hosting? We have flyers and other papers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Public Benefits for Pennsylvania on
Answered on May 30, 2017

The answer to this question depends upon the county where you will be distributing the flyers. Even though you are not selling anything, the township may deem that handing out the flyers is a form of soliciting contributions, and there are townships that require permits for such an activity.
View Details »

Q: i am in pike county pa the town is sholoa the question what is the time limitation on filing to get seurity depoist back

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania on
Answered on May 15, 2017

It is difficult to give you a completely accurate answer without reading the lease, but I think you should send a letter to your old landlord, certified mail, return receipt requested. Most leases will provide that the landlord has to return the security deposit within a certain number of days, or provide written notice regarding why they are not returning it. Again, it is really not possible to provide real legal advice without knowing all the circumstances and actually reading the lease and...
View Details »

Q: Can my husband start his own company selling something he originally created for his current employer to use?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Apr 19, 2017

I do not represent you and do not know all the facts, but it sounds like this was a "work for hire" and that the company he worked for owns the rights to it. However, he could approach the company and see if he is able to sell to others. It sounds like he has a strong position in being able to ask the employer to allow him to sell to others.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to provide legal advice for your specific situation.
View Details »

Q: I want to start selling private label Hot sauce and salsa. I want to use my last name with the word salsa or hot sauce

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Trademark for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Apr 19, 2017

You do not need to have a trademark to sell. However, the federal trademark does protect the name so others cannot come in and copy it. I would also recommend that you copyright your recipe for the sauce. Good luck!
View Details »

Q: If a sole proprietor gets sued can joint assets between spouses be levied in PA?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Business Law and Family Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Apr 16, 2017

Since Pennsylvania is not a community property state, your spouse is not liable for the debts of the sole proprietorship. However, if you have a joint bank account, the creditor could go after 50% of the account.
View Details »

Q: I have a bankruptcy question.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Mar 31, 2017

No you cannot file a new bankruptcy. If the claim pre-dates your bankruptcy, you may be able to reopen the bankruptcy. You may be able to file a state receivership, a state form of bankruptcy but need to speak to local counsel. Those are usually handled by bankruptcy attorneys.
View Details »

Q: Is it legal to sell CBD oil online or in the state of PA?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Products Liability, Agricultural Law and Criminal Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Mar 29, 2017

Not unless you are licensed to sell it as a medicinal product which is unusual as they haven't set up licensing yet. Even then, it's possible that US could prosecute you. You could expect visits from the FBI. You really need to get with an attorney before doing anything like this. Use that attorney at each step of the way. Guess wrong and you could be on a traficking charge. State AND federal even!
View Details »

Q: I am a small business owner and I have franchises business.I don't have any employee, do I need WC insurance?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Workers' Compensation for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 28, 2017

It is possible that this charge is to provide the franchiser with coverage in case you are injured and attempt to pursue a workers' compensation claim against them. You would really have to review your franchise agreement and potentially talk to the franchiser's office to determine why you are being charged that fee.
View Details »

Q: Is a PA State Farm Agency marital property?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 21, 2017

How is the agency set up? Is it an LLC? A sole proprietorship? Have you requested and received the documents that demonstrate what his relationship is with State Farm and how his agency "operates?" You need to contact a divorce attorney who can discuss this issue with you further; this is a potentially very complicated issue, and you shouldn't waive any rights until you have receive adequate disclosure and explanation.
View Details »

Q: My husband has a sole proprietor business. He customizes shirts for a non profit ball league. Am I able to sit on board?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 8, 2017

Yes as long as you have disclosed that.
View Details »

Q: Do we by law have to reimburse thitd party company who erroneously paid our taxes?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Small Claims and Tax Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 8, 2017

Depends who they are. There are two theories--one is called "unjust enrichment" and the other is called "volunteer"

See if a friendly local attorney will look at the documents and figure out your legal responsibilities. Morally, most would say clearly they didn't intend to gift you the money, you yourself were surprised and delighted but didn't expect it, so you were unjustly enriched. But maybe I'm missing something so chat with someone locally who can look at the document.
View Details »

Q: Commercial tenant breach of lease-

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Dec 2, 2016

Unless the lease indicates that the landlord's application to change the use of the premises causes a default or termination of the lease (which is unlikely), it is doubtful that a court would hold that the tenant is not responsible for the remainder of the lease merely because of the landlord's application to the Township for a different use of the property. Landlord could have been looking at its options several months before the end of the lease with the tenant.

As with every...
View Details »

Q: Is a deceased tenant's estate responsible for 90 days rent because for failure to give a 90 days notice due to death?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Probate for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Nov 13, 2016

If the estate is insolvent, your question is likely academic because there are no assets to fight over. You, as Executor, have no personal liability for estate debts in the absence of mismanagement.

With respect to the underlying question itself, the landlord may be correct that your sister's death does not automatically end the lease contract. However, if the ultimate answer is important to you, you should review the lease with a lawyer.
View Details »

Q: I'm wondering if it is legal to be told I can't be hired due to a re-hire policy one company that has now split into two

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 21, 2016

The policy as a whole sounds very strange. However generally an employer can only be held responsible if they don't hire you because of race,gender, religion, ethnicity etc. Consult a member of the Pa.

Assn for Justice who handles employment issues--they give free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.