Harvard, IL asked in Banking for Illinois

Q: Mom died right after having cashed a check for selling her house. the shared bank account we had money is now mine

Her house almost went into forcloser. she sold it first. and paid off the bank loan she had. she took the check with remaining money and put in a saving account we share before she died . Now she is gone and the bank is saying they really should have gotten a little more money. The saving account that is mine now. Does this mean I owe them? This was not an inherritance she cashed and deposited her money before she died.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: Established facts:

1. The bank already got the money they asked for in the sale.

2. Your mother already got the money left over from the sale of her house.

3. The money your mother received was deposited into a joint account owned by you and your mother.

Conclusion of law: The money is yours.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.