Colorado Springs, CO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: Can a landlord(s) transfer a lease to a Property Management Company without notifying the tenant in writing prior?

I have a Colorado lease that has several legal errors, such as governing law is listed as Massachusetts, landlord can lock out the tenant, as well as, all the parties listed on the lease did not sign off. A Property Management Company posted a notification on my door on 10/3/2019 informing me (i.e. the tenant) that I was to pay Octobers rent to this company. I received no notification from the actual landlord(s) listed on the lease in writing nor verbally of any changes in oversight. I tried to make the October 2019 payment as I do each month to the landlords' bank account (i.e. ENT Bank), which I was advised had been closed. I received no communication nor notification from the landlord until October 23, 2019, when I advised the Property Management Company that I would not pay them since I had not received any notification from the actual landlord(s). The landlord then e-mails me stating that the Property Management Company took over on 9/25/2019, with no notification.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: A landlord may designate an agent (Property Management Co) to step in and administer the lease on his behalf, unless the lease specifically says otherwise. It was smart of you to verify this transfer with the Landlord prior to delivering money to the Property Manager.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.