Woodstock, GA asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: What are my rights to property if my name and my ex-boyfriends are on the deed but he is the only one on the mortgage

We are breaking up I asked him what he wanted to do about house he said it would be best to take my name off the deed I said not without negotiating a fair amount my lowest price was 21K seems more than reasonable to me especially when I know he has it in the bank.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The two of you may want to hire an appraiser to determine the market value of the property.

If you are going to split the equity in half, you would be entitled to 50% of

The value of the property


The outstanding mortgage

You may want to consult with a local real estate lawyer to ensure your rights are fully protected. If not, once you come up with an amount, demand a certified check from his bank. Sign the deed at the same time you receive the check.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.