West Bloomfield, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: An officer did not witness my ticketed "Improper Passing" but called to a calculated site

Ticket states Authorization Pend. 257.638. In Remarks "Witnessed by Dan...." (a retired 2014 Cheboygan, Mi. officer) and "driver admits" (I did not, I cried) Will I lose an appeal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: My general take on civil infractions for traffic offenses is that if you have the time and inclination, I do not see a downside in requesting a formal hearing on the matter. Keep in mind that this is not a criminal proceeding, and so it doesn't take much for a magistrate or judge to find you responsible. Worst case scenario: you're found responsible and subject to the same penalty; best case scenario: you win and owe nothing, or you are able to negotiate it to something that carries no points on your drive license.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.