Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: As a 16 year old can I refuse to go to my dad’s house?

My parents have joint custody, I’m on week with my mom I’m Humacao, and another with my dad in Caguas. I’ve been trying to convince my mother to ask for full custody for over two years now but she always puts it off. At this point in desperate, can I just decide not to go to my dads house? My father is very dramatic and has threatened to call the police whenever my mother keeps me for an hour more than what she’s supposed to, not to mention she has a bit of money to pay in child support. As a 16 I want to know if I have the right to choose who I can live with.

2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. No you cannot decide but your opinión does count. The Court will take your opinión into consideration but only if your Mother requests full custody.

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: The may take your opinion in consideration if your mom files for full custody, but you can't decide not to go see your dad.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.