Honolulu, HI asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Hawaii

Q: I have a vandalism claim on my vehicle of over $11,000 it has been almost 2 months and they keep stringing me along.

The vandalism was a gas contaminant of regular fuel in a diesel truck. the gas tank was nearly empty at time of occurrence and i have bank statements send the the insurance company of my gas purchases. Recently, they said they need the physical receipt to proceed with the claim, but since they did not request this information and even told me i didn't need it the gas station does not have it. They only keep records for 30 days. I have been without my vehicle now for almost 2 months and am starting to get aggravated. Do i need an attorney with for this claim or should i just battle it out.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You've been without the vehicle now for two months. It could make sense to set up a consult with an attorney. If an attorney succeeds in getting past the issues you're currently having with the receipts and is able to make arrangements for an experienced property damage adjustor to investigate the loss properly, that could prevent wrecking a second engine from any residual gasoline in the system. If the loss investigation isn't done properly, and you wind up ruining a second engine, that would likely mean no coverage, attorney or no attorney. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.