Tooele, UT asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: What are the steps someone would need to take to get guardianship of a child in a unstable home?

I live in a unstable home and don't get the proper needs what would be the steps to take for someone to get guardianship of me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Craig
Brian Craig

A: If there is suspected child abuse or neglect, the proposed guardian could first report the suspected neglect to the Utah Division of Child & Family Services (DCFS). Call 1-855-323-DCFS (3237). A minor can also contact a school counselor or other adult to self report possible neglect. The school counselor or other adult could then report the suspected neglect to DCFS.

The proposed guardian could also file a petition with the district court asking to be appointed as a guardian but getting DCFS involved is important. DCFS can also bring an action for removing a minor from an unstable home if there is abuse or neglect.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.