Portland, OR asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Oregon

Q: Are CPS workers allowed to refuse to give a parent a UA if they ask for one?

My son was in the care of someone else while I was at home packing our belongings to flee from a bad situation that I did not want him around. While he was with the other individual he ingested narcotics and almost died. I met him and the person providing care for him at the hospital and the next morning my CPS worker told me she would be giving custody to his father who I had concerns about my son's safety with and refused to give me a UA at the hospital and then proceeded to blame me and then forced me to leave the hospital. I have only seen my son three times in the past six months and he is with his dad who is actively using drugs. I have have proof of all this but cannot afford a lawyer. I am being treated very unfairly and am losing sight of any hope. I have always been my son's sole provider and we have never been away from each other for more than three days before this happened. I was never given a service plan or reunification plan from the CPS worker. Trial is December 2nd

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: This is too complicated to figure out based on your brief synopsis. You need to contact an Attorney who can both review your details of what happened and review the court records. A reunification plan is only when there is a juvenile court proceeding and in a juvenile court proceeding you would be entitled to a court appointed Attorney. So this may well be a regular custody proceeding and there won't be a reunification plan and you don't get a court appointed Attorney. You need to figure out how to hire an Attorney. Consider calling the Oregon State Bar and asking about the modest means program or if this case is in the Portland Area you may qualify for services offered by St. Andrew's legal Services which has funding so they can offer a sliding scale fee based on your income. The Oregon State Bar also has a lawyer referral service that will at least get you an initial consultation for $35.00.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.