Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oregon on
Q: A bolt washer inside Ruffles Double Crunch Zesty Cheddar chips

I bought a bag of Ruffles Double Crunch Zesty Cheddar and I bit into something hard. Come to find out there was a washer inside the chip bag that I almost swallowed. This could of been very life threatening and would like compensated and them to be held accountable for this.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 28, 2020

An Oregon attorney could best advise here, but your post remains open for a week. I'm sorry for your ordeal, but these types of cases tend to be based on actual damages, generally supported by medical records. You're correct in that it could have been life threatening, but it is difficult... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law, Personal Injury and Products Liability for Oregon on
Q: In 1974 I was a victim of a flammable pajamas incident. Skin grafting involves. They should be held accountable !!
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 7, 2020

This is something on which an Oregon attorney could advise best, but you await a response for a week. I'm sorry for your ordeal and the serious injuries you must have suffered to necessitate skin grafting. Unfortunately, it might be difficult to pursue legal remedies at this point in time. You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oregon on
Q: I live in a HOA where the BOD is using the COVID-19 Emergency to have "emergency" closed meeting via the phone. Legal?

They say they are "Grandfathered" in and the rules do not pertain to them as the attorney has told them. I want to contact the Attorney General, but was told that there is a clause in which we have to have mediation first. How do you mediate breaking the law?

Gabriel A Watson
Gabriel A Watson answered on May 13, 2020

The answer to this question will depend heavily on what allowances exist in the HOA bylaws and whether the Board of Directors is following them.

If the bylaws allow emergency meetings under conditions such as those that exist relating to COVID, it is possible the Board of Directors is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Civil Litigation, Communications Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: Does 1 have to be late w/rent directly due to Coronavirus to be exempt from eviction for the next 6 mos in Mult. Co?

The moratorium said those who dont have the virus but are late will not be at risk of eviction but I've just paid my rent 8 hours late and my landlord is still attempting to follow thru on the 72hr notice. It also seems to me this prop mgmt company is predatory. I fell down the steep crooked... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Mar 19, 2020

A landlord does not have to accept rent paid after a 72 hr deadline and normally can proceed to evict if they wish. Currently however no court in Oregon is processing or enforcing residential landlord-tenant cases so the landlord can do little at the moment to enforce rent payments. If they DO... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: Is a cash for keys buyout of my lease taxable income? If so is it regular income or capital gains income?

We lived in the same apartment in Los Angeles for ten years. The landlord let the building degrade over that time refusing to fix basic things like the roof leaking into the bedroom every winter from the start of the lease, not fixing broken security gates & doors, leaving the front gate of the... Read more »

Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger answered on Jan 31, 2020

It’s hard to say without seeing the lease and buyout agreements. In some cases, taxpayers can argue that a payment like that is actually a reduction in the monthly lease payments based on not receiving the value that you initially bargained for. In other words, an adjustment to the purchase... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Oregon on
Q: Are CPS workers allowed to refuse to give a parent a UA if they ask for one?

My son was in the care of someone else while I was at home packing our belongings to flee from a bad situation that I did not want him around. While he was with the other individual he ingested narcotics and almost died. I met him and the person providing care for him at the hospital and the next... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Nov 3, 2019

This is too complicated to figure out based on your brief synopsis. You need to contact an Attorney who can both review your details of what happened and review the court records. A reunification plan is only when there is a juvenile court proceeding and in a juvenile court proceeding you would... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Oregon on
Q: We received a summons to file a motion and don't think we are a fault. How do we proceed on a limited income?

A 14-yr.-old was struck by a car on the corner by our property in 9/17. We learned of this in August 2019, when we received a letter from a lawyer saying we are partially liable because our hedge was overgrown, and our homeowners insurance should pay. The hedge was overgrown/very tall when we... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Oct 17, 2019

Do what the attorney had said, turn this over to your homeowners insurance. They will then hire an attorney and defend you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oregon on
Q: Is it against the law to a record a conversation to prove one person is lying to another?

This is a roommate situation where 1 female roommate constantly manipulates everyone in the house and lies behind everyone's back. Is it illegal to record the manipulator so everyone else has a chance to hear the conversation? Conversation would never be used for court, would never be used to... Read more »

Shawn A Kollie
Shawn A Kollie answered on Sep 19, 2019

It is a crime to record a conversation without the other person's consent or knowledge. Do not record unless this person is advised that it is occuring.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Employment Law for Oregon on
Q: My employer has been breaking multiple employment laws , he removed his hard drive when he switched payroll co. Strange?

I didn't receive any online paystubs for my direct deposit the entire time my employer used this online payroll company . He switched companies and got a new computer , him and his friend that switched out computers , put up a bunch of security cameras all over the resteraunt. I find this... Read more »

Jeff Merrick
Jeff Merrick answered on Aug 22, 2019


This sounds very bad.

I might be willing to help, but first I need to know who is the employer and owner of the business. Also, where you worked and when this all happened.

Jeff Merrick


1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Environmental for Oregon on
Q: I am a land owner in mult co. Having some major logging done. Company is grossly unprofessional. I need legal advice!

I live in multnomah county in Corbett. The logging outfit has all but quit, with a huge mess, not fixing the driveway or regraveled, and still many trees left to cut down and haul to the lumbermill! I have 12.75 acres and this is a huge undertaking! I have bills to pay and trees to replant. With... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jul 25, 2019

You will have to consult an Attorney because I would expect you signed some type of contract or paperwork and part of the answer to your question is figuring out what your rights or liabilities are under the contract. Sometimes you need to take formal steps like have an Attorney write a letter to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Probate for Oregon on
Q: If a deceased’s “estate” doesn’t require probate, how might a creditor file a claim against the “estate”?

The claim is approximately $50,000.

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jun 11, 2019

A creditor has standing to file a probate or file a small estates affidavit. However you should definitely discuss this with a probate Attorney as there may be nothing in the probate estate to make filing such a proceeding cost effective. Certain property previously owned by the decedent can... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Oregon on
Q: Can I sue my ex for my bill to college if she caused my homelessness by breaking up with me during my unemployment?

We were both living with her friends from work and we got in a fight one day going to work/school and during her day at work she broke up with me and I was immediately rendered homeless. This caused me to have to move to another state and be unable to go to the college. It was past the time limits... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Mar 29, 2019


View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Construction Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Oregon on
Q: I need help in regards to filing a lien on a construction project or write up a demand of payment letter

I was hired by a contractor to install siding and painting.The project is coming to a close and im still owed 54 thousand dollars plus 51 thousand dollars of change orders.I still have to pay out 95 thousand dollars to my subcontractors.I am told by other people that the general contractor said... Read more »

Daniel DiCicco
Daniel DiCicco answered on Jan 29, 2019

Sounds like you will need to sue them. I doubt a letter alone is going to dislodge $100k from someone. You need a real threat. Give me a ring and I can look at it with you.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Immigration Law and Medical Malpractice for Oregon on
Q: officer performed a sternum rub on me at a hospital while I was sleeping ,can I do something about it?(a lot more to it)

he kept going even after I got up from my bed as he kept saying " come on man up" mind I was in ICU, also there was a nurse/dr watching while he did this, this officer left this out of the police report but put everything else in it. theres more that I can discuss if there is something,... Read more »

Kelli Y Allen
Kelli Y Allen answered on Jan 22, 2019

I'm sorry to hear of your experience, but this is not an immigration issue. I suggest speaking with a civil attorney and also contacting the police department to request that the report be modified to include all relevant information.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: The OSB agrees that I was a victim of the unauthorized practice of law, can I sue the landlord of the guilty party?

The OSB agrees that I was a victim of the unauthorized practice of law and is going after the guilty party for injunction relief and costs, the person had advertised themselves as a paralegal but did work and gave advice beyond what they were allowed, can I sue the landlord of the place where... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Jan 21, 2019

Only if the landlord was somehow involved. But, if I am reading you right, the person just lived there, and in that case, no. You also cannot sue the state because he made money and paid taxes.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Collections and Small Claims for Oregon on
Q: Does the use of a unenforceable contract in small claims court rob the court of Subject Mater Jurisdiction?

Plaintiff took me to small claims court, using a lease agreement that violated public policy and included terms that would require illegality to perform, as the basis of claim. Would the plaintiff have standing? If not, could the default judgement be attacked due to the fact that it is void?

Daniel DiCicco
Daniel DiCicco answered on Dec 22, 2018

If you defaulted on the claim then your options are very limited. You will need to try and set aside the judgment but this is done somewhat rarely. You will not be able to do it without an attorney, and then you are facing a situation where it would very likely cost more to set aside the judgment... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Oregon on
Q: Can a felon own black powder guns in oregon
Daniel DiCicco
Daniel DiCicco answered on Dec 6, 2018

A black powder gun counts as a firearm. "Firearm means a weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of powder and which is readily capable of use as a weapon. "

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Oregon on
Q: Circuit Court Contract and Torte

I recieved a summons from a debt collection lawyer for OR21.160(1)(a) Mandatory arbitration l. breach of contract 2. Account Stated 3. Quantum Merit

Can I file a motion to dismiss with prejudice including all of the questions answered? Summons said I need to file a "motion" or... Read more »

Daniel DiCicco
Daniel DiCicco answered on Dec 4, 2018

It is unlikely that a motion to dismiss would be successful at this early stage unless you have incredible facts on your side. The proper thing to do is file an "answer" and start working through the court system. Failure to file an answer (or a motion to dismiss) can cause you to lose... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Civil Litigation for Oregon on
Q: Can I deny court mandated visitations if I feel there's a threat of harm?

My 8 yr old daughter's father was in prison for 6 years for assault with a deadly weapon & strangulation of his pregnant (now ex) wife. He had not been in contact with my child for almost 7 years. He got out this year & came to Oregon to see her for a week. He convinced me & our... Read more »

Jessica Larsen
Jessica Larsen answered on Nov 28, 2018

You can be held in contempt if you fail to abide by the parenting time established in your judgment. I think your best course of action if you believe your child is in danger is to file an immediate danger motion which could temporarily suspend parenting time until you are able to serve the other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Insurance Bad Faith for Oregon on
Q: Need to take an insurance to small claims, they have agents in the county does this count as having a physical presence

An at fault party's insurance company has neglected to reimburse for car rentals, which they agreed to pay for, or provide any closure. Even with police report (which I had to provide at my own expense) and video evidence it took almost 2 months to accept liability. One month after having my... Read more »

Jeff Merrick
Jeff Merrick answered on Nov 15, 2018

If your question is whether your county has jurisdiction over the insurer, odds are it does.

If you can't find the insurer's proper address with the Secretary of State's business registry, try the State Insurance Division.

It might be worth buying an hour of a...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.