Vancouver, WA asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oregon

Q: Dispute with a auto Mechanic. Paid $850. Drove home next morning the car would not start

For two weeks he's been coming to tow my car back to the garage. Haven't showed up

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An attorney who practices in Oregon could best advise on your options here, whether arbitration (as you list), small claims, or other. But your question remains open for two weeks. It isn't fully clear if you mean the mechanic has been showing up at your place for the past two weeks (which the court would regard as a measure of good faith on his part), or you mean that he's supposed to be showing up, but is failing to. In terms of the repair, the law does not impose an absolute duty to diagnose and repair the problem flawlessly in the first attempt. Some cars or some mechanical problems could take repeated efforts to diagnose and repair; that's a given in the eyes of an arbitrator. It could be a personal call on your part, but if investing in a flatbed transport on your dime to get your car over to the shop could be a step toward resolution, that could be cheaper than spending money in legal fees. If you are not able to come to an agreement, then you could consult an Oregon attorney about arbitration or other forum. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.