Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oregon on
Q: In Oregon, I paid a deposit on a golf reservation. I have to cancel and was told it is non refundable.

One question - is it truly non refundable. If so, can I get a credit to use at a later date. However, when I asked about that they said they would extend a one time courtesy for me to do that, but if I canceled that date, then I would lose the money.

Can a business take deposit money and... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 1, 2019

You raise a valid point. However, the handling of such deposits as a general rule is usually governed by terms of the underlying agreement. You could check with an attorney in Oregon as to any state laws that might serve to protect you, or if the attorney could offer a brief, inexpensive consult to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oregon on
Q: Dispute with a auto Mechanic. Paid $850. Drove home next morning the car would not start

For two weeks he's been coming to tow my car back to the garage. Haven't showed up

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 16, 2019

An attorney who practices in Oregon could best advise on your options here, whether arbitration (as you list), small claims, or other. But your question remains open for two weeks. It isn't fully clear if you mean the mechanic has been showing up at your place for the past two weeks (which the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oregon on
Q: If a lawyer for a corporate plaintiff insists on misrepresenting a claim of the corporation's Board of Directors

in Court through longstanding loyalty to the CEO, what sort of third-party challenge is available to the Board: e.g., "Plaintiff's Motion to Challenge the Standing of its own Rogue Counsel?" Obviously a malpractice suit offers a long-term remedy but what can be done real-time in the... Read more »

Daniel DiCicco
Daniel DiCicco answered on Jan 2, 2019

If you are in a legal battle with a corporation and don't have your own counsel, you are really walking a risky path. I have seen people do this kind of pro se representation and end up getting absolutely wrecked with an attorney fee bill -for the other side- at the end of it.

You need...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oregon on
Q: Is it illegal to walk out of a nail salon without paying if you received terrible or incomplete service

Our appointment was for a full set and pedicure and waxing. We got a pedicure and waxed but the salon skipped over us for the full set and said we had to come back over an hour later if we still wanted it done. They were being very rude to us and it was embarrassing so we just stopped arguing with... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Feb 12, 2018

You got some service so you should at least offer to pay for the part of the service you got.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: Under Mandatory Dispute Resolution ORS 31.250(6) When award of punitive damages against health practitioners prohibited,

when I am requesting non-economic damages, do I have to cite the subheadings all the way to the category of their profession? Or will ORS 31.250 do?

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Feb 2, 2018

If you are requesting punitive damages, you really need to have an attorney as this is a complex process.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Oregon on
Q: I have a question about obtaining a temporary stay order until a legal action is heard in court or arbitration

We have received a letter stating as invitation to occupy our property has been revoked by trust and we must vacate immediately. We want to challenge it and need time to determine our legal recourse

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei answered on May 20, 2016

If you are already residing on the property, then the trustee must commence an FED action to evict you from the property. That should give you the time you need to evaluate your rights.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oregon on
Q: Can you refuse arbitration?
Matthew Abts
Matthew Abts answered on Apr 2, 2012

Dear Questioner,

First, it depends on whether you are dealing with court-ordered arbitration, or with arbitration in a contract of some sort.

Many contracts call for arbitration to resolve disputes. If your contract calls for it, it is mandatory if it is a well-written contract. If...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.