Harrison, NJ asked in Animal / Dog Law for New York

Q: My boyfriend gifted me a dog, we broke up and took the dog back from me, how do I get him back legally?

I moved from my house where the dog was staying a couple Months ago, and therefore he was staying with my boyfriend for a couple

Months. Me and my ex boyfriend got in a argument now he refuses to give him back. How can I get my dog back legally ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I noticed you are in NJ. I’m not sure where the dog is but generally you will need to bring an action to recover the dog in the jurisdiction where it is located. Since most states (including NY) treat pets as property, you will need to prove ownership. Is the dog licensed to you? Do you have vet records indicating you as owner? Do you have a bill of sale in your name? Is there something you can show to prove that you took responsibility for your dog? If you do, you can sue your boyfriend in court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.