Albertville, AL asked in Tax Law for Alabama

Q: In 2011 and 2012 I earned no money in the state of Alabama. I worked in Nevada both years. Do I owe back taxes?

I relocated to Nevada but did not change my driver's license until 2012. I received a tax bill from the state of Alabama although I did not reside or earn any income in the state. Do I owe them anything:?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You're going to have to challenge the assessment and provide evidence of your status. The state is going to take the position you did not properly sever your ties to the state and you'll argue you did.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.