Leeds, NY asked in Consumer Law for New York

Q: I need help fighting a bill in collections that i never should have had in the first place

In 2012 i attended UCCC and when i bought my books from the bookstore on campus the attendant rented one of the books instead of putting it through for purchase, i was never informed of this and now they are withholding my transcripts until i pay for the book. I agreed to do this but the 12.12 i owed for the book has been sent to collections of which i was never notified that it was there and then again transferred to a law office the bill is now almost 200.00 and up until a few weeks ago i never even knew the bill existed. I cannot afford to pay this large amount and i am agreeing to pay the original fee of 12.12, they are now holding my ability to further my education hostage until i pay a bill i never should have gotten and now cannot afford.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott

A: You need to dispute the debt and contact a debt collections attorney in your area for a consultation asap. If they are wrongly trying to collect on this debt and unjustly holding your transcripts you may have incurred damages entitling you to a recovery. Each State has it's own Debt Collection Laws in addition to the Federal Debt Collection Laws; therefore, consulting an attorney in private as soon as possible would be advisable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.