Louisville, KY asked in Traffic Tickets for Kentucky

Q: Community Service for "Drivers License Not On Person"?? Do I need this expunged? Is this a serious charge?

I was pulled over and did not have my drivers license with me. Unknown to me, my license had also expired 5 days earlier. (Kentucky stopped sending notices for license renewal, I simply had not noticed mine expired). I was told all I needed to do was go to court and show I had a license. I renewed my license the very next morning when the DMV opened. My court date fell on a day that I was going to be out of state, so I hired an Atty to appear. I have NO record, no speeding or parking tickets so I wasn't too concerned and thought it would be simple. Afterwards a letter came stating I had been given the option of having a misdemeanor on my record for "license not on person" or serve 10 hours of community service. I did the 10 hours of community service and my case was dismissed. Now I've been sent a letter saying that I'll need to have my case expunged, otherwise its all public record. Why did I do the community service if it's still on my record? Should I expunge this?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You did the community service in exchange for g Hy acing the case dismissed. You should now expunge the dismissal so there’s never any record of it again.

Benjamin "Tom" T.D. Pugh
Benjamin "Tom" T.D. Pugh pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: So, if your charges are indeed dismissed, you have the option to have the charge expunged 60 days after dismissal. You can pay a lawyer to do it, or you can try to do it yourself. You'll need to get a KSP certification first, that the charge is eligible for expungement. Her is a link for that: https://kycourts.gov/Expungement/Pages/process.aspx. It costs $40. Follow the instructions. As soon as you get the certification, you have I think 30 days to file a petition for expungement in the county where the charge is. Here is another link to help you out, so you can fill out the petition to have the charges expunged: http://www.cleanslatekentucky.com/ and http://www.cleanslatekentucky.com/instructions.html. This should get you started. And if you are not sure, contact a local lawyer in your area to assist you. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.