Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kentucky

Q: Our brother is trying to get to be Executor of our fathers estate, but 5 out of 7 of us want to contest it. Kentucky

There were 8 children, one is deceased. There are now 7 of us, 3 full, and four stepchildren. We had different mothers. Our brother William is trying to get the court to grant him to be the executor over my fathers estate, and has told the court that it is only worth $1000. Our father died on April 2nd, and the will he wrote was never given to probate. A false will was made, and our other step-brother signed it.

Five of us our driving down to Kentucky to be at court on Wednesday morning at 8:30 a.m. to contest this. We were given a weeks notice.

My fathers estate includes many guns, much fishing equipment, my stepmothers belongings, everything he received from my grandmother when she passed last year. There were 2 children and my grandmother divided everything equally. The home she owned. (was paid in full years ago), all of her belongs (there were a lot) including a bell collection, etc.

We know for a fact that the estate is worth at least $80,000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You all appear at the hearing, advise the judge, and he will likely appoint a neutral party to oversee the estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.