Port Charlotte, FL asked in Workers' Compensation for Florida

Q: Hello, I was injured at work and the company approved doctor said that I needed surgery. They submitted the paperwork

for authorization. While waiting for the authorization I was let go from my job. I just received notice from the doctor's office that the authorization had been approved. And they wanted to move forward with the surgery. Am I still allowed to proceed with the surgery? I don't want to be hit with a large hospital, surgery and follow up bill after the fact.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mitchell Feldman
Mitchell Feldman
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the workers compensation carrier has authorized the surgery, and you have not received any notice of denial of benefits, then yes of course the carrier should be paying 100% for all medical treatment and the surgery. The fact that you were let go, assuming because you could not return to work should not affect your benefits, and there should be payment of disability wages.

I highly encourage you to speak to an experienced workers compensation attorney. The work comp system unfortunately, is run unfair for the injured workers and your rights may be trounced upon. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by hiring counsel to guide you along the way and to make sure the carrier provides all the benefits you are entitled to, now and in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.