Madison, TN asked in Banking for Tennessee

Q: Can I get my car that's paid off exempt from seizure? If I lost my job and defaulted in a cc?

Someone came to my roommates house today and dropped papers off for me and it just so happen to be a civil summons in regards to a c.c bill I defaulted on when I lost my job. I know they can take whatever I own in order to satisfy a judgement but it also says that if I want property exempt from seizure I can file a written list under oath of items that I wish to claim exempt with the clerk of the court. So am I reading that right as in I can list my car as exempt ? Its paid for. Or should I just put it in someone else's name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hire a competent attorney that understands notes and exemptions. Few know how to exempt property, which is what you should do now and in the future for at least 10 years. The attorney should attempt to make the contract debt as painless as possible, then properly exempt your chosen personal property. You may have a problem with the car exemption or you may be too rich. A good lawyer can help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.