Juneau, AK asked in Divorce for Alaska

Q: Divorced in AK & I was awarded spousal support & right to move to out of state. He isn't paying my support.

He keeps making motions knowing I am running out of money to pay to defend them plus I can't afford to keep flying to Alaska. I have to take care of my child (who I was awarded full custody of) plus the airfare is just another expense.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: If you win those motions, you can ask the court to have him pay a portion of your costs and attorney's fees.

You can participate in the hearings by phone. It would take some extra work to file exhibits, etc. in advance, and it's not as good as being there, but it would send a message to the court that you're financially strapped. Hopefully by now the court has seen you in person a few times, so you no longer have to impress on the judge that you're a real person and that you're honest when you testify.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.