Sterling Heights, MI asked in Car Accidents for Michigan

Q: Do I have any options if failed to report an accident?

While leaving for work I hit my neighbors brick siding. I live in a condo, and all the units are within close proximity to each other. My neighbor's garage and my garage directly face each other. It was our first major snowstorm of the year, and the snow hadn't been cleared, and whiling backing out, my car began sliding as I was trying to turn the wheel of my vehicle so I clipped the siding, which caused damage to the siding. I didn't realize how much damage I had done at that point, because you don't expect a plastic bumper to cause a lot of damage, so I went on to work. When I got home around 6:30 AM I looked at the damage to my vehicle and the brick siding and saw there was visible damage. Later that morning, I notified d our property manager, and my insurance company to report the accident and find out what I needed to do. My insurance company told me to report the accident to the police, which I had planned to around noon that day, but my neighbor called the police first. I am now

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Your question was cut off at the end, but your conduct, should you be accused of leaving the scene of an accident, demonstrates every intention of reporting it after you realized there was damage. If you are accused, contact an attorney. Ask the rep from the insurance company with whom you spoke to retain transcript or record of conversation that morning if possible to do so. If not, keep their name and phone number available and ask them to vouch for your conversation if necessary. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.