Philadelphia, PA asked in Foreclosure for New Jersey

Q: Can a court award a quit claim without the grantor present?

My girlfriend is separated from her husband. The house mortgage is solely in his name, but they are both on the deed. He has defaulted on the mortgage and the lender has already started the foreclosure process. My girlfriend showed up to the first court appearance and told the lender that she would like to try to re finance the house in her name. She was told that the only way to do that would be for him to quitclaim his ownership in the house. But he has not shown up for 2 Court appearances, and ignored all communication. There is another court appearance today. She was told not to appear, in hopes that he was just avoiding seeing her in person. She was also told a final judgement would be passed. But what she wasn't told is if he doesn't show up, does that mean the quitclaim or Foreclosure goes through?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ

A: I am sorry to hear about your girlfriend's situation.

You need to have her talk to an attorney. There are too many things that are happening in the foreclosure to tell you to tell her what she needs to do. She needs legal advice based on her situation.

There are many factors that can influence the outcome of the foreclosure and ultimate ownership of the home.

Is there a divorce proceeding? Who is going to get the house? Was everyone properly served? Has an answer been entered? Who is living in the house? Who is supposed to be paying the mortgage? Is there equity?

The above are just a few questions that need to be answered before coming up with a legal strategy to save the home.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.