Fairborn, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Can my daughters landlord give her a verbal 14 day notice to move?

After they gave a 14 day verbal I let them know that I will look into renter's rights. They went to her 2 days later and said a utility will be disconnected in 3 days ( they are in the landlords name because they claim the property as their primary residence even though my daughter has rented from them for almost 5 years)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If landlord does not follow the proper eviction procedure, tenant can sue landlord for wrongful eviction. If landlord turns off the water, tenant can report that to the local building dept., which might order landlord to turn it back on. If landlord files an eviction, that is a permanent court record -- but even if it gets dismissed, it can make it difficult for tenant to rent from a landlord who checks the records. So tenant should try to work it out with landlord to avoid an eviction filing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.