Bakersfield, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: We are in California. We need to move back into our rental that tenants in it. How do I get them out?

They have lived there for 4 years. the lease has expired and is now month to month.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Franklin Klatt
Joseph Franklin Klatt
  • La Jolla, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You are going to need to give them notice, at least 30 days, possibly 60. You should consult with a local landlord-tenant lawyer who can handle this issue. The cost is modest compared to the difficulty and risk of doing it wrong. If they choose not to leave after the notice, you have to proceed through unlawful detainer (eviction). Again, this is best left to an attorney in your county that lives in the UD court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.