Federal Way, WA asked in Immigration Law for Oregon

Q: what legal steps should I do before traveling? If there’s any to make it easier while coming back?

I am a daughter of an asylee status holder. My grandma had a heart attack and I need to travel asap with her to my home country. As she was coming here for a visit and can’t go back alone. She needs someone to help her. I have a refugee travel document and my home country passport. Do I need to send a letter to the USCIS explaining my emergency travel? I know it’s the decision of the officer during my return. I just want to do anything that could help me before traveling. Also to mention, all of my family is in the U.S and I’m 19 years old traveling alone with my grandma.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If you have the refugee travel document and passport from your home country, that is all you should need; however, traveling back to a country from which you are requesting asylum can be risky, because it raises questions about how much danger you are really in.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.