Charlotte, NC asked in Tax Law for North Carolina

Q: Is it legal for NC to tax me on income I earned in a different state . I lived and worked in different state.

I did contact both offices.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Richard Yandle
James Richard Yandle
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your resident state will tax your nationwide/worldwide income. You can claim a tax credit for taxes paid to the other state (or country). You end up, in effect, paying the higher of the two rates. Be careful of the expiring statute of limitations on claiming the credits, or you will end up being taxed twice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.