Brockton, MA asked in Landlord - Tenant, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Massachusetts

Q: Landlord has video camera in bedroom catching us shower naked and is being nasty to us now. How can I win a lawsuit?

My husband and I rented a condo in Norton, MA. We have the contract. Landlord put camera at front door and one of the bedroom. Landlord also did not fulfill the contract because they have their dad staying there for two months. They were our friends so we did not want to make a big deal. I personal texted to demand the naked videos back and stop spreading it around but they didnot. Instead, they tried to ruin our reputation. We are out right now because they want us to, we still have our personal belongings there.I called around and have been given different advice. Someone said we need to send a legal letter to ask for the videos, others said we need personal injury lawyer for the mental damage. I need a free legal consultation and hire a lawyer ideally by not paying unless the case is won, or by consignment. I appreciate your response ASAP.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Greenwood
Kristen Greenwood
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sagamore Beach, MA

A: In my experience as a criminal defense attorney, my first suggestion would be to go to the police to report that you've been video recorded in the bedroom of the apartment you were living in. Provide them with as much proof as possible of these videos, as well as a lease/contract to show you had "ownership" and a reasonable expectation of privacy in the apartment/bedroom. The police will investigate from that point and press charges if they find your report valid.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.