Panama City, FL asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Mississippi

Q: What should we do to prepare for a child abuse case after a child was molested?

My sister was arrested on a child abuse charge after finding out 2 underage boys (ages 10 and 13) were molesting her 7 year old daughter. She tried to have a sit down with the parents of the boys which turned into her physically harming one of the boys. She now has court December 3rd. We do not know if this will be a felony or not because of the situation. Should we get her a lawyer? What she would expect? She lost her job due to being incarcerated and has 2 sets of twins ages 7 and 7 months old. The both of us were molested by a family member at a young age and she has tried to stop this from happening to her children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: She needs to get a lawyer ASAP. Even though her response was understandable given her background, they will likely try to go after her for either simple assault or aggravated assault. Ideally, it would end up being a simple assault charge, as that is a misdemeanor, but without more information, it is hard to determine. Feel free to reach out to any attorney on here by clicking the contact information next to their name. Most lawyers, including myself, offer free consultations to see how we can help out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.