Asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: I am married out of Florida. I currently reside in Arkansas with My Step Son and my Children.

My husband is the father to my Step Son and 2 of my young children. He was currently incarcerated and then extradited on a separate warrant to Florida. I am looking to divorce him. His Mother (the grandmother) has a signed notarized letter of custody for my Step Son made a few years ago. His bio mom is not in the picture Who had rights to him? Me or the grandmother?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You need to consult an attorney. There are unanswered facts that will deteremine how you might proceed. If the notarized letter is not a court order, it does nothing. From the information provided, you are not a biological parent and do not have legal custody established. Grandmother has done nothing to establish a right (yet) and dad is the only person with a legal right to custody (though he can't have the child with him).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.