Deshler, OH asked in Tax Law and White Collar Crime for Ohio

Q: As an 18 year old can I dropout of high school as a dependent on my father's tax papers without him landing in jail?

As I stated i'm 18 and he claimed me as a dependent, if I would dropout of high school can that land him in jail? I just want to make sure he isn't doing anything wrong if I would choose to drop out. He said he can be charged with a federal crime for Tax Fraud and I want to make sure that this isn't true and that he will be safe.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The ability to claim you as a dependent is not related to whether you're in high school. The question is did he provide over one half of your support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.